Whether you’ve separated from Defence or you’re still serving, as a member of RSL Tasmania you become part of a network of volunteers who not only share the bond of service but are also committed to giving back to their Defence family.
By joining the RSL, you can help other members of the Defence family who might not be as fortunate as yourself – those who are injured or ill, those who are struggling with transition, and the partners and families of those who are serving or who have served.
It’s a way to recognise the service and sacrifice of those who served before us and with us, as well as those who are still serving or will serve after us. It is also a way for you to ensure the voice of veterans is heard by governments, public authorities and the public generally.
RSL Tasmania offers two types of membership, a description of the eligibility is outlined below.
You are eligible to be a Service Member if you served in the Australian Defence Force. This extends to people who served with or supported, or were otherwise engaged with the Australian Defence Force or the Armed Forces or its allies for just one day. There are some other provisions under our By-Laws – please check with your Sub Branch if you believe you should be admitted as a Service Member.
If you do not qualify as a Service Member but you meet any of the following conditions, you can apply to be an Affiliate Member.
- You are a relative of a service or life member of the RSL or a relative of a person who, at the time of his or her death, was eligible to be a service member. You must be 18 years or older.
- You were awarded a certificate of merit or a national or state certificate of appreciation for valuable service to the RSL.
- You are or have been a member for at least six months of one of the following:
- A state or federal police force
- An ambulance service or brigade
- A fire brigade or fire authority
- A state emergency service
If you do not meet the above criteria, but your Sub Branch Committee deems you to have demonstrated empathy with the Objects of the RSL and a desire to assist the RSL in its work, you may be admitted as an Affiliate, with the approval of the State Branch.
Access our Sub Branch directory to find your nearest Sub Branch and become a member today!